Ukrainian city called Sumy is the administrative center of the Sumy region. Sumy is located in the North-Eastern part of Ukraine, and this city is included into the number of the largest industrial cities of our country. In addition, Sumy is an important hub of the Ukrainian railway. Let's note that the population of the Sumy is about 300 thousand people.
The city is crossed by rivers Psyol, Sumka, Strelka and Popadka. In addition, within the city and around it there are many ponds and lakes. The first fortress in Sumy was built in the meeting of three rivers - Suma, Sumka and Psyol. As is well-known Cossack Shaft, very important at that time. There in Sumy is very short street with a speaking title Sotnya (Hundred). It was titled whether in honor of the Cossack hundreds, whether in honor of hundred of meters (according to the length), but in spite of that, this street is favorite for the citizens for a walk.
When it was a question, where will be constructed the first University in Ukraine, such an honor could be given to the Sumy as an alternative to Kharkov, however the destiny has disposed so that all the same Kharkiv, and not Sumy, became the first University city in our country.
The history of the city begins in 1655, which was marked as the date of Foundation. The territory on both banks of the river Psyol was inhabited by the people. Slavic tribes lived on the territory of modern Sumy already in the II-VI centuries. It is noted that in the South-Western part of the city, namely - on the Pavlov Street, were found the remains of burial grounds and settlements of the ancient Slavs. In the area of the street Topolyanska, where once was located the village of Topolya, there was a place, where lived the northerners in the VIII-X centuries. But on the Luk are the remains of a large settlement of the times of Kievan Rus.
The name of the city inherited from the two its rivers, the Suma and Sumka. The legend says that on that very place where is the city now, once were found hunting bags (called suma in Ukrainian). That’s why the emplem of the city, which was adopted in 1781, shows the three black bags, decorated with gold buttons and bands.